Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Of Starbucks and Goodbyes

I was at a Starbucks with a friend the other day, and when we tried to place our order for two iced coffees, we were informed that--

Starbucks Barista: We're out of iced coffee.

Me: You mean you are out of ice?

Barista: No sir, out of iced coffee. You can get any of other iced drinks.

As best I figure Starbucks in engaged in a conspiracy to the deny iced coffee to sweltering Californians so that we purchase more expensive iced lattes, mochas, etc etc. I just can't for the life of me figure out how a Starbucks runs out of generic coffee. Your thoughts are welcome.

Only slightly more important is the reality that I fly out two days from now (Passport finally got here!). I genuinely can not believe that this is actually taking place, that I will actually be in England for three months, that summer is over, that I'm halfway done with college... The list continues.

I think I have everything I need for the English weather, with the exception of a raincoat. Kinda an important exception, no? After searching for one at more locations than I care to think about, I have come to the astonishing conclusion that SoCal in August is not the optimal time/place to be in the market for a heavy raincoat. As of now, it looks like one of my first English adventures will be searching for a raincoat in the thrift stores.

The past few days have been filled with saying goodbye to people (sometimes three or four times) from home and from school. The wonderful people I worked with all summer took me out to dinner last night, so I got to see a lot of people from Pomona yesterday which was fun and odd at the same time. We have such different semesters ahead of us, it will be interesting to see how much or how little it affects things. Also trying to say goodbye to the ever-dwindling number of people from high school that I keep in touch with. Amazing how things change over time, even in the space of one year.

Anyways, this was probably a complete waste of time-- but at this point I am procrastinating packing for just a bit longer. The next post will be from England, and hopefully by then I will have something more eventful to discuss!

----------------
Now playing: Blue Scholars - 50K Deep
via FoxyTunes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saying goodbye is always rough, but hopefully England will greet you warmly (probably not weather wise, but you may get lucky!). And yes, finding a raincoat in England is significantly easier than in SoCal!
And don't worry about starbucks, in England it actually costs an arm and a leg, and a trip to the pub is more convenient!
Safe travels!

a bouncing ball said...

don't have much to say about starbucks...actually you and I both know that is a lie but I will save it for our next conversation/debate. hehe. I hope you are having a wonderful time and look forward to reading your updates from half a world away.

love, Monica

Rhett said...

Haha thanks both of you, its not so much that I like Starbucks, more the sheer ridiculousness of it all! But anyways miss you both, hope all is well!