Monday, September 10, 2007

Safely Here

First post actually from England-- we don't have internet access in the rooms yet, so this will have to be fairly short.

Flight was fine, was up for 34 hours straight by the time all was said and done. Landed in London Gatwick with Kasyn, took the bus that goes straight to Oxford (about a two hour trip), and then desperately tried to stay awake. We landed at 7:30 in the morning, and managed to keep ourselves up until 9:00PM. The city here is amazing, and our college is astoundingly beautiful. We are staying here for the first three weeks, and then we move out into our home stays. Here at Univ we basically live in a castle-- the rooms are huge, we are all (with one exception) in singles with huge common rooms and a seperate bedroom. We have sinks in our room as well, which is very nice. I'll be posting some pictures once I get my laptop working (ie connected to the internet).

The town is very active (at least it was on Saturday) and had a great indoor market with lots of cool shops. Cornmarket street is the main street (its a pedestrian street), and has lots of stores and such. Spent several hours walking around there already.

Only bad news I got was yesterday when we first got here and met with Dr. Loughman (our director while we are here) I found out that my tutorial is going to have to be my second choice (something to do with the EU and their economic policy, if I remember correctly). Thats a bummer, but not much I can do about it. The nice thing is that our first class--British Politics-- doesn't start until Wednesday, and the main courses (our one on one tutorial and the small group tutorial) don't begin until October.

Tonight we have our orientation/official welcome, and hopefully we will get the internet in our rooms activated at that point.

Anyways, theres the update for the time being. Still tired and jetlagged, so hopefully a more interesting post will come sometime soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Rhett! Sounds exciting :) The EU class sounds pretty interesting to me; I hope it all works out!

- Liz E.

Rhett said...

Thanks! I'm sure it will, and if it doesn't-- well at least I'm in Oxford! Pretty hard to go wrong with that...